What Qualifies as a Dental Emergency?
Emergency dentistry refers to the specialized branch of dentistry that focuses on providing immediate care and treatment for dental issues that require urgent attention. These issues often involve sudden and severe pain, trauma to the teeth or mouth, and other situations that cannot wait for a regular dental appointment. Our team of emergency dentists are trained to handle a range of urgent dental problems, offering relief and necessary treatment to alleviate pain, prevent further damage, and restore oral health.
Common situations that might require emergency dental care include:
- Toothaches: Severe or persistent toothaches can indicate an underlying issue such as an infection or dental decay that requires immediate attention.
- Dental Trauma: Accidents or injuries that result in cracked, broken, or knocked-out teeth require prompt treatment to prevent complications and salvage the tooth if possible.
- Dental Infections: Dental abscesses or infections can cause extreme pain and swelling. Immediate treatment is necessary to prevent the infection from spreading to other parts of the body.
- Severe Gum Bleeding: Uncontrolled bleeding from the gums could indicate a serious gum issue or other oral health problem that needs immediate evaluation.
- Loose or Dislodged Dental Restorations: If a filling, crown, or other dental restoration becomes loose or falls out, it can expose the tooth to further damage or sensitivity.
- Painful Wisdom Teeth: Impacted or infected wisdom teeth can cause intense pain and discomfort, requiring immediate attention.
- Orthodontic Emergencies: Issues with orthodontic appliances like braces or wires can cause discomfort or injury to the mouth and may need quick resolution.
- Denture Problems: Broken dentures or dentures causing irritation can impact daily functioning and require urgent repair.
- Objects Stuck Between Teeth: Items lodged between teeth can cause pain, irritation, or potential damage if not promptly addressed.
We are equipped to provide temporary relief and stabilization in urgent situations. Depending on the issue, they may perform procedures such as tooth extraction, dental fillings, placing temporary dental crowns, prescribing antibiotics, and providing pain management. It’s important to note that if you experience a dental emergency, you should seek immediate care from an emergency dentist.